Monday, July 7, 2014

Thug Kitchen Peanut Tempeh Summer Rolls

I don't even want to talk about this long Fourth of July weekend. I was terrible. Not even close to terrible by my old standards but there was low country boil and wine and I partook. Ma, did I partake! I will kick up the physical part of my week and see what the scale says in a couple days. I just don't have the guts yet.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....I will not beat myself up. I will keep a good attitude about this journey and not let a misstep define me. I will continue with my journey positively, happily, healthfully, and with beautiful, hearty recipes that are nutrient dense and delicious!

This post is about a new recipe that I found late last week online. I adore summer rolls. I also have a relatively unrefined sense of humor. I found the perfect mix! If you have not checked out Thug Kitchen, you must. It's hysterical.
 
WARNING: If you have a sensitive, vanilla sense of humor, DO NOT click HERE. You will be offended and I warned you. I even warned you in red capital letters. Otherwise click away and be prepared for some seriously funny reading.
 
In addition to being hilarious, there are also delicious, healthy recipes available on the website. Enter the Peanut Tempeh Summer Roll. I censored the recipe for print here. It's much funnier on their website. Click above!
 
PEANUT TEMPEH SUMMER ROLLS
8 ounces of tempeh
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari (I used Dr. Bragg's liquid aminos)
1 package large spring rolls wrappers/rice paper wrappers
PEANUT SAUCE MARINADE
1/3 cup no sugar/no salt peanut butter
1/4 cup warm water
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari (Dr. Braggs again)
1-2 teaspoons Sriracha  (not exactly nutritarian but it's hard to have great Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai, or Chinese without it)
1 ½ teaspoons of grated ginger
1 clove garlic, cut up into small pieces
 
Cut the tempeh width-wise into 1/4 inch pieces. You should end up with about 16 finger-sized pieces. In a wok or skillet bring the water to a boil with the soy sauce. Add all the tempeh and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until all the water is evaporated.
While the tempeh cooks, mix together the peanut butter and warm water in a cup until it is smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients for the marinade and keep mixing until it is all uniform looking. Taste and adjust the seasoning so that you like it. Pour half of the peanut sauce marinade into a shallow dish. Put the cooked tempeh on top and pour the rest of the sauce over it. Let this chill while you cut up all the rest of your shit.
Here is where you should cut up all your veggies. I used 2 medium carrots, 1 cucumber, 6 lettuce leaves, green onions, basil, cilantro, and avocado but use whatever you have hanging around. I would make sure that you have some lettuce, something crunchy, and at least one herb. Almost anything tastes good in here. Just cut up everything except the lettuce into strips about 2 inches long.
In the same wok or skillet you cooked the tempeh warm about 3 inches of water. You want the water hot but not so hot you can’t put your hand in it. Turn off the heat. Place one spring roll wrapper in the water for 10-15 seconds until it becomes bendy. Let the extra water drip off and lay down on a plate.
Fold the wrapper in half so that it looks like a taco on its side. Lay down the lettuce, veggies, herbs, and 1-2 pieces of tempeh down on middle third of the half circle wrapper thing we have going. Fold the wrapper over once tightly, left to right, and then fold the bottom over, like a burrito. Continue rolling and press the end flap gently against the roll. Keep making rolls until you run out of filling. Finished rolls will keep in the fridge for about 2 days.
Makes about 10-12 delicious rolls that people will be really f_______ impressed with
 
Because their picture gives you a preview of the awesomeness that is their website, I didn't try to outdo it with my own photo.You'll love the website visuals AND the food!
 
 
 I paired the rolls with a fabulous vegan Tom Kha. Get the recipe HERE. It was a perfect lunch and my hubby who was having bacon cheeseburger pockets commented that I should just plan on making enough for 2 next time. Score! It's killer finding nutritarian and vegan recipes that he loves as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment