Monday, July 21, 2014

Peace And A Sandwich

 
I was making a sandwich for Jeff for today's lunch and really wanted something sandwichy of my own. His was turkey and cheddar with mayo on a tortilla. The ONLY thing I could have eaten there was the tortilla and one tortilla does not a lunch make. Dr. Fuhrman has a tuNO salad recipe in his book that looked pretty good but I punched it up because well, I'm getting much more comfortable making nutritarian choices and modifying my favs to fit.
 
Here's the recipe with my modifications.
 

Chickpea Tuno Salad

1 can garbanzo beans rinsed or 1 1/2 C cooked fresh chickpeas if you have them (I didn't)
1 C raw almonds
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp kelp granules (cheapest at Asian grocery stores if you have one in your town)
6 oz lite firm lite silken tofu
1 1/2 Tbsp tarragon vinegar (white wine or champagne would be good too)
1/2 tsp Coleman's dry mustard powder (regular mustard powder if you're not a fan of spice)
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp horseradish
2 tsp Dr. Braggs liquid aminos
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
2 green onions, chopped
1/3 C red pepper, small dice
1/2 C peas
2 radishes, diced
Pepper to taste
To serve: 2 slices flax seed bread, sliced tomato, lettuce, sliced cucumber.
 
Pulse chickpeas and almonds in food processor, add lemon juice and kelp granules and pulse until incorporated. Remove to a bowl. Puree tofu, vinegar, mustard powder, nutritional yeast, Dijon, horseradish, and liquid aminos in food processor or blender. Pour over chickpea/almond mixture. Stir in celery, green onion, red pepper, peas, and radishes. Pepper to taste. Serve on flax seed bread (Alvarado St. bakery is my favorite) with lettuce, tomato and cucumber.
 
This was just the sandwich I wanted and it did turn out to be a wonderful, peaceful lunch. My phone barely rang at all!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment