Tuesday, July 15, 2014

I Want A Loaded Potato Too!

Over the weekend, I made the boys one of Jeff's very favorite things, loaded potato skins. Problem was, that sounded really great to me too. I did a little digging through Pinterest, nutritarian andvegan blogs, and  nutritarian and vegan website and solved the problem.
 

Almost Everything Loaded Sweet Potato

1 sweet potato
1 tsp Earth Balance original
3 green onion, chopped
1 slice Daiya cheddar style cheese
 
Bake the potato for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Brush with butter, top with green onions, sour cream, and cheddar style slice. Broil for about 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!
 
 
I thought I had some vegan "taco" meat in the fridge to add which would have been delish but I guess I ate it on, or in, something else because I couldn't find it. I stole a couple tiny pieces of hillbilly bacon off of Sam's potato skins because, well because I'm human, and it looked really awesome. A couple tiny pieces did me just fine :).
 
I feel great, haven't had heartburn in a month,  and it's getting so much easier to make myself something that is healthy and meets my Eat To Live goals while being similar to the yumm-o things that my boys like that just happen to include meat and dairy. Also, I've lost 12 pounds since the 8th of June and my M-W-F runs are slowly getting easier with less walking peppered throughout. The sleep is sweet, the energy is such a welcome change, AND I don't really have cravings anymore. Except for pickles. They are my Achilles heel. I've been indulging some but am currently investigating low salt, salt free, sugar free home canning options.
 
A friend asked me the other day how I can possibly be okay with fixing Jeff's and Sam's food while I have to deprive myself of delicious food in the process. All I could say was that this is my life now, and I have to make good choices for my health and longevity. Also, those choices don't have to deprive me of any of the deliciousness that real, whole food has to offer. In fact, lunch yesterday was the Peanut Tempeh Rolls discussed HERE, for both Jeff and me, at his request. See some of the food is so delicious, he is asking to eat it with me now.
 
I think this is what's wrong with the American diet. Some people assume if you aren't eating shit, you're depriving yourself of something. Others seem to think that if you aren't a regular red meat eater, you almost aren't American. Shoinks! I promise, this food is delicious, satisfying, nutritious (much more so than I ever ate before), and most importantly, my body is responding just like it should and needs to.
 
That's maybe the thing I expected least that has surprised me most; friend's and loved one's response to my food. Most have been supportive but some....not so much. If you are struggling to find support in your journey, look no further. I will applaud and lift you up the whole way!
 
Good luck and happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment