Thursday, August 7, 2014

Kimchi Fried Rice

I was dying for a good fried rice dish last week so I started checking out some recipes online for inspiration. It turns out there are a drillion recipes for fried rice, a kazillion (slightly less than a drillion) for vegan fried rice, and a bunch for kimchi fried rice (most vegetarian, a few vegan) but none of them had just the combo I was looking for. I wanted fried rice, with kimchi, TONS of flavor, and other veggies that was delicious, vegan, and nutritarian. I started experimenting and voila, I very nearly met every one of my original wants!
 
Kimchi Fried Rice
2 Tbsp Earth Balance coconut spread
2 cloves minced garlic
5 chopped green onions
½ C sliced mushrooms
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
½ C Wildbrine* Thai kimchi
1 Tbsp kimchi juice
¼ C grape or cherry tomatoes
2 C cooked brown rice
1 Tbsp Dr. Bragg’s liquid aminos
1/4 tsp sesame oil
Black pepper to taste
Chili garlic sauce to taste, optional (I like Huy Fong but it’s only certified vegetarian not vegan FYI)
In wok or deep skillet, melt coconut spread. Sauté the garlic, green onion, mushrooms and cilantro 5-7 minutes. Add the kimchi, kimchi juice, tomatoes and do a few quick stirs before adding the rice. Stir to combine well and let cook another 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes begin to soften. Add the liquid aminos, sesame oil, black pepper, and chili garlic sauce. Stir a few times to blend with the rice.
* I specifically use Wildbrine products because they are delicious, naturally fermented, and vegan. You can use a different kind if you like. I like the Thai version for this dish but they also have Korean and Japanese Miso and Horseradish versions.

Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice
Ok, so the Earth balance, kimchi, sesame oil, and Huy Fong chili sauce aren't completely nutritarian. Some things are totally worth bending the rules for. It was delicious, satisfying for a Chinese food lover, and hit every note I wanted it to from the briny tang of the kimchi, to the crunch of the onions, to the spice of the chili garlic sauce, to the umami of the mushrooms.
This recipe was intended to serve one but it's a lot of food. As it turns out, it's also so delicious, you may end up powering through it anyway. I mean, you might. You could I guess. I'm not saying I know from experience or anything.........
Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment