Friday, August 22, 2014

I Think I've Figured It Out. It's Going To Have To Be Vegan (Mostly)

I think I've figured out why I've been having so much trouble keeping up with the "nutritarian thing" as my friend calls it. It's the pickles. I HAVE to have the pickles. And Earth Balance. I NEED to be able to sauté mushrooms sometimes. Or squash, or Brussels sprouts. And I WANT flax bread. I don't take my capitalization lightly here folks, so it's going to have to lean toward vegan (mostly) instead of fully nutritarian.
 
Also, I Facebooked my Doc before making this declaration and he said "Okay, okay, I get it. These things should not massively negatively impact your thyroid and liver." He of course followed it up with the obligatory, "Be reasonable about how much sodium, wheat and oil." And my favorite "Is flax bread even bread?" So I buy mostly kosher pickles because they are lower in sodium or make a quick refrigerator pickle at home with cukes, vinegar, Dr. Braggs liquid aminos or shoyu, and garlic.
 
But sometimes a recipe comes along that begs to break the rules and one is powerless to say no. Vegan artichoke tapenade is just such a recipe. As always, I did modify the recipe ever so slightly to my taste.
 

Artichoke Tapenade

7 green olives (I used the garlic stuffed kind)
1 clove garlic (2 if you don't have garlic stuffed olives)
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
2 tsp capers, drained
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp Dr. Bragg's liquid aminos
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 can artichoke hearts in water, chopped
 
Pulse everything except the artichokes in a food processor. Stir in chopped hearts. EAT!
 
Yesterday I ate it with some crackers and today I mixed it with arugula, spinach, and kale. I loved it both ways and am sad that I'm out. But, it's almost the weekend and I have plenty more of all of the ingredients at home so I will be making more. It's briny, tart, a little creamy, and absolutely delicious!
 
 
Today for lunch, I paired the salad with a side of roasted pattypan squash (one of my favorite things!) and mushroom/garlic sauté. I'm not posting a picture here because it's damn hard to get a pretty picture of mushroom sauté. I am however a happy, healthy, camper.
 
Bon appetite...........you know since tapenade is French and artichokes are fancy according to the customer who came into my office while I was eating lunch.
 
 
P.S. The "mostly" vegan reference in the title is my disclaimer that sometimes pepperoni pizza will be eaten. And sometimes duck or turkey. And even more frequently, but still only sometimes, CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment